Tuesday 3 July 2007

Should I keep my new nose?

Ok, now to test your judgment. Is the following story an example of:

a) extremely bad judgment and gross stupidity; or
b) an example of testing one's limits and maintaining the adventurous spirit.

One afternoon in the Galapagos we went snorkelling at Devil's Crown, which is the remains of an underwater volcano so lots of jagged rocks, caves and underwater tunnels (obvious plot device). I found a particularly cool cave so ducked underwater to check it out. It turned out to be a tunnel that went all the way through to the ocean on the other side of the crater wall. I came up and decided that I was going to try it. A deep breath and I ducked under and headed for the light.

The currents were strong both ways and up and down through the tunnel but with fins I soon made it through the 15 metres or so and was bobbing about on the ocean side. I caught my breath and after a minute or so decided to attempt the return swim through. The currents were stronger and about three quarters of the way through I saw the group watching me and realised I would have to swim further to avoid being kicked as I came up. Just as I began the final bit, the current surged and a fin came off my foot causing me to lose some control and surface too quickly. I put my hand above my head as the tunnel ceiling rushed towards me and looked up. There was a sickening crunch as a jagged part of the ceiling ploughed into my face. Luckily I surfaced on the outside and knew something was wrong when 3 or 4 of the girls screamed something like ,"Nick! You're bleeding!"

Having seen sharks just minutes before and with the boat a while away, I pulled myself up onto the rocks and took off my mask. Immediately a lovely gush of blood streamed down my face and my hands were a bright red. Apparently my face also went white. The others signalled frantically for the boat and when it arrived I swam over and it took me back to the Friendship. I spent the next few hours with ice, paracetamol and anti-inflammatories. I found out later that the group saw a good size Galapagos shark in the tunnel a few minutes after I got into the boat. Nice.

Luckily our next stop was the main island of Santa Cruz and that night I walked into the local hospital (clinic) with Cesar as my interpreter. Having done it many times myself I have great empathy for the challenges of translation but I knew I was in trouble when the nurse decided to speak in English and started with the question, “And what is my name?”

An x-ray the next day helped another doctor to determine that the nose was not broken but merely dislocated and that I could finish the final 3 days of the trip and get it checked out in Quito. Well, when I got back to the mainland I went to the Hospital Metropolitano which had a brand spanking new CAT scan machine. The slick doctor brought me the results and, trying to hide his smirk, said, “First, that x-ray was the worst I have ever seen and doesn’t show anything useful. Second, there is no such thing as a dislocated nose. And third, your nose is broken in 4-5 places and you will need surgery to fix it.” Good on you, doc!

So, was it stupid or brave? Bad judgment or pushing one’s limits? And should I have the surgery or live with my new look? Let’s just say that GQ magazine is reviewing my modelling contract.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my God! Go to the best surgeon in South America, do not pass Go and do not collect $200! You don't want your nose buggered up, darling. And it is ....was...such a cute one....Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Tim, although Owen Wilson has made a fortune from having a banged up nose- perhaps it will open up new career avenues for you?!
    While you've been busy playing Indiana Jones I've been busy sustaining the population. Ned William Steele Butters was born 19 June. He has matinee idol good looks and absolutely no ability to sleep. Good thing he's cute! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, i suggest you to go the best doctor at your spare time and let the doctor examine your nose again.. don't forget to bring your last X-ray , perhaps another diagnosa can help it :)

    sometimes people ignore about the health.., just remind you that..
    so, you don't want any effect from your nose can influence for your future health, right ??

    hmm, if you still want to be a great adventurer .. go whereever the places you want to reach it.. so your health must be at your number one top list..

    with you all the way.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUCH! Stuff South American surgeons - head for London and the plastic surgeons to the English rugby team! Thank god for travel insurance ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch.... poor Nick. That's one scary looking x-ray. Well, on one hand, broken noses are: kinda sexy, sign of character, makes for cool story etc etc...but not sure what a nose with 4-5 breaks looks like....

    Anyhoo, since you are in South America already, why not make yourself prettier? Let's hope the Quito surgeons are as good as the Brazilian ones :)

    Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have thought a dislocated nose would have been one of the more obvious medical conditions to diagnose and never having seen someone with a nose anywhere else but the middle of their face (irrespective of its state), I agree with the no such thing diagnosis!

    When's London, can you hang on til then? Kylie and Sean are still there aren't they and they're bound to know some ENTs perhaps? Just a question of whether your travel insurer will cough it up?

    Poor you though, travel stories involving blood just suck.

    R xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Update on my nose: looks like the travel insurance company won't cover it as the deem it to be not "medically necessary", ie because I can breathe it becomes cosmetic surgery. But they will fly me home if I want - thanks a bunch. Now to see whether my private health insurance will cover it. But I must admit it kinda has grown on me, might keep the new nose after all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops..kamu emang nakal...Wah hidungmu jadi kayak hidungku dong "pesek" hehehe..Trus gimana tu? Moga gak terjadi sesuatu yang serius ya..

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.