Friday 1 June 2007

Quito (23-25 May): old city and hunting Galapagos

After a fun flight from NY to Miami, the plane emptied most of its larger, louder and whiter passengers and took on smaller, chattering and colourful ones. I managed to get a window seat for the Miami-Quito leg which was awesome as it was about 4pm and Mt Cotopaxi (snow covered mountain on the Equator) came into clear view and the pilot banked obligingly so I could snap a few pics (will post when I can).

I arrived in Quito around 7pm and set out for the main road outside the airport and flagged down a cab. This is when my Spanish was first tested. The last time I went to South America I did a little of the Berlitz tapes and could manage but this time I was less prepared. Luckily some of it has stuck in my mind somewhere and I could get to the hostel. Luckily the (Lonely Planet) book was spot on and the Secret Garden hostel became my wonderful home for the next few days. It has four floors which can hurt but the journey is well worth it for the top is the terrace with a big long communal table and the most fabulous view of the old city.

Central Quito is basically divided into the old and new city. The old city has cobbled roads, numerous churches and plazas all in the old colonial style. No Incan buildings remain as the king raxed the city just before the Spanish arrived so they couldn´t do it themselves. Quito is meant to have a crime problem and you are always warned about being out after dark but I had no problem although was mostly in groups.

I wandered around for the first day, just getting used to the altitude and orienting myself with the city. I could have wandered those streets and alleys for days, such a beautiful town. Tested my spanish some more and generally felt good about being on the road. I met Kevin from Scotland who works on natural heritage with the UK government and who is travelling with his son, Joe, who is volunteering with a wildlife company north of Quito. He and I joined forces to hunt down what many consider to be the ultimate in wildlife trips - The Galapagos Islands! I had been told by a Swiss woman that I could do it on my own and others had recommended various boats and operators. I decided to do both. I booked an 8-day trip on the Friendship boat with naturalist guide and then added 3 days before it so I can explore on my own. I will be there from 4-15 June and in addition to frolicking with marine iguanas, boobies and giant tortises am hoping to dive with hammer heads, manta rays, sea lions, whale sharks and much more. Can´t wait!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.