Wednesday 3 October 2007

Damascus final days (13-18 Aug).

All Syria photos are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/nickchasingthesunrise/Syria

Shopping: found the most brilliant nargileh plus hand painted ceramic plates and much more.

Clubbing: in Syria’s only club until 4am with Amak burning up the dance floor with Indonesian traditional dance moves and me trying to keep up.

Star Crossed Lovers cafĂ©: beers, nargileh, politics, banter, religion, travellers and music – brilliant combination enjoyed every night.

Indonesian Independence Day: Amak took me to the Indonesian Ambassador’s residence where I got my Indo fix of food, kretek and banter. Discussed the challenges for illegal Indonesian (female) workers and fended off vigorous and spirited attempt by a guy to convert me to Islam.

Bosra: great day trip to this southern city with Olly (Brit with VW van driven from Germany), Alex and Amak to see huge restored Roman theatre with capacity for 15,000.

I shared a cab to the airport with a Spanish television journalist and tried to turn my thoughts to the coming reunion with my parents in Paris but wave after wave of Syria memories washed over me. Loved it all.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there gorgeous! Thanks heaps for taking the time to update the blog. It's made my morning learning about all the stuff you've been up to, and looking at your amazing pics (how about those columns in Palmyra??) All is well back here, and Spring has sprung. Enjoy Paris and the UK, and keep us up to date. Love. Tim.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.